The first batrep with the NetEA Death Guard 0.4.1 list.
Particular effort was taken with the Death Guard list to try out updated units, new/updated formation upgrades and an army list of generally very slow formations.
My Death Guard List
Paul T's White Scars List
Objectives from my left flank.
Objectives from my right flank.
BTS in the middle, facing the Land Speeders.
Chosen and Contagions in the right flank.
Rhino retinue by my Blitz.
Plaguereapers on the left flank.
White Scars: on my left flank.
White Scars: on my right flank.
Zombies formation one arrive with ten units and take 3BMs.
Zombies formation two also get ten units but only get two BMs.
Turn One: Death Guard win strategy and Contagions Sustain on bikes. For five hits and three kills.
White Scars: Whirlwinds Sustain onto BTS and kill a Spawn, breaking coherency.
White Scars: Retain with Predators and Vindicators into left Zombies, kill five and break them.
Zombies fall back in the way.
Death Guard: right Zombies Marshal.
White Scars: Tacticals advance and kill two of the broken Zombies.
White Scars: retain with the Warhounds including all Plasma! Killing two Plague Marines and two Dreadnoughts, splitting the formation.
Death Guard: double with the Plaguereapers at the Land Speeders for no damage.
Death Guard: retain and Marshal, fail and re-roll to prevent dying, and remove seven BMs.
White Scars: Land Speeders Advance and kill the Plague Hulk.
Death Guard: Engage with the Rhino retinue and wipe the Land Speeders for one casualty.
White Scars: Advance with Predator Annihilators. One damage goes through. Causes a crit. Both Nurglings fail armour and one makes INV save. Remaining Nurgling is hit on a 6 by the crit, fails armour but makes INV save to kept formation unbroken.
Death Guard: Chosen Double up behind the Zombies.
White Scars: Tacticals Advance and shoot Zombies for no damage.
White Scars: more Tacticals Advance and shoot Zombies for no damage.
White Scars: Bikes Engage and kill one Zombie, but supporting fire then kills lots.
Turn One End Phase. All formations rally apart from left Zombies.
Turn Two. Terminators arrive but White Scars win Strategy.
Whirlwinds Sustain, killing a Nurgling and a Terminator.
White Scars: Retain with Tacticals and break the Terminators.
Death Guard: Sustain with Contagions and clip Bikes as well.
The Tacticals don't quite break with 8 BMs!
White Scars: Predators Advance and kill three of the BTS due to multiples 1s and 2s for saves.
White Scars: Warhounds retain and Advance, killing two of the BTS and breaking them.
Death Guard: Advance with Plaguereaper onto Tacticals.
Death Guard: retain with Rhino retinue onto Tacticals for one kill. Destroyers not much use.
White Scars: Bikes March into my back lines.
Death Guard: Chosen Engage and beat Tacticals.
White Scars: Predators Advance and kill two Rhinos.
Death Guard: Zombies try to Marshal and fail, regrouping.
White Scars: Tacticals Advance on the Rhino retinue for no damage.
Turn two end phase, my BTS remnant doesn't rally but the Terminators do!
Turn three. Death Guard: win strategy, Terminators kill Whirlwinds but take a casualty.
Death Guard: retain with the Plaguereaper and fail activation, and shoot Tacticals. SC re-roll saved for later.
White Scars: Advance with Predators getting crossfire on the Rhino retinue.
White Scars: retain with Tacticals and fail, but break the Rhino retinue anyway.
Broken retinue reposition to block Warhounds from my Blitz.
Death Guard: Chosen Double to block movement.
White Scars: Engage with Bikes into the broken BTS.
Death Guard are Super INVulnerable! All three failed their first save, the Dread and Desecrator make their INV saves while the Winged Daemon Prince makes his Reinforced re-roll.
Marines are not Super INVulnerable, but that's what happens when you go into CC against 4 Extra Attack Macro-Weapons. Bikes wiped.
White Scars: Retain and Advance to try and clear out the Rhino retinue. Getting a kill and due to no Fearless on the vehicles, BM kills clear a gap for the Warhounds to move through.
White Scars: Warhounds Double into the remnants of my BTS.
White Scars: Retain with the lone Tactical from my far right flank to break the Terminators again.
Death Guard: Contagions Sustain onto Predators for no kills and 3 BMs.
White Scars: other Predators kill Plaguereaper and break remaining Nurglings.
Turn two end phase, Terminators fail to rally even with the re-roll.
Turn three. White Scars win strategy and Sustain with Predators, killing the Supreme Commander and breaking the retinue.
Death Guard: Contagions fail to activate to Sustain and reposition a bit.
White Scars: Tacticals Advance and put a BM on Chosen.
Death Guard: Chosen Engage but even with the remaining Chaos Spawn getting four hits they only kill a Rhino and lose.
White Scars: Advance with Warhounds for no hits on the last unit from my BTS.
Death Guard: last activation, Zombies hide behind a hill.
White Scars: single Tactical shoots down a broken Terminator stand with a very lucky single missile.
White Scars: Predators March and swerve past the broken Nurglings to take the Blitz.
White Scars: last Tacticals shoot broken Terminator Lord for no damage.
End game, White Scars have Blitz and two objectives, winning 2-0.
Game analysis to come...
So. That went badly. I wasn't expecting to do stunningly well, having intentionally loaded up with slow units, but bad rolls and worse tactical decisions really messed things up! I had a plan for deployment and then completely ignored it...
- Deployment - the Contagions and Chosen were supposed to garrison off the Blitz and act as Blitz guards. Although they did do a good job of holding the rural end of the table (with some Zombie help), it did leave me without a good choice for guarding the Blitz objective.
- Deployment - the Plaguereaper formation as a slow and short-range formation were supposed to start more centrally instead of being way off on the left flank.
- Deployment - given the number of garrisons, the Contagions would probably have been better set up at the very back of my Deployment Zone near the Blitz, as I knew the White Scars would be advancing into range.
- Deployment - the Plague Zombie Infestations were probably too far forwards, and would have been better off a bit further back and mostly in cover to make them harder to hit. Given the massive speed disparity between the forces, the left flank formation should probably have been most of the way back to my Blitz to act as another layer of protection against Predators etc. getting to my Blitz objective.
- Deployment - the BTS formation was too far forwards and too unsupported. If they'd had the Plaguereapers coming up the road behind them (instead of the Rhino retinue) they'd have been a bigger threat.
- Terminators - at the end of the first turn, Paul had made his biggest tactical blunder. After moving up Tacticals on my right flank so that they could provide supporting fire for the Bikes hitting the Zombies, he then forgot to consolidate with the Bikes and left all three formations intermingled in a long line across the whole flank. Instead of going after the Whirlwinds, the Terminators should have landed on the far right edge of the table where they could potentially have broken every White Scars formation on that side of the table! Losing the strategy roll might also have been less damaging.
- Overall, I kept my forces too dispersed which let paul use his superior speed to single out formations and simply go past formations when needed.
Lots of lessons learned from this game...
Notes on specific units and how that may affect the Death Guard list going forwards can be found on Taccoms.